Land of Volcanoes
DESTINATION: ARENAL VOLCANO.
The Arenal Volcano Area is well known for its active summit, but little is talked about its great bird diversity and beautiful rainforest. Coming across Quail doves, mix flocks, soaring eagles, elusive antpittas are just another day in paradise. Bordering forest edges by the lake is very successful, the complex vegetation of many different ages makes this piece of Costa Rica a must to visit for birdwatchers. Great Curassows in the middle of the paths, active Black throated Wrens on tangled vines, silently perched raptors on exposed death tree trunks, hyperactive Coquettes going from flower to flower are just part of a daily birding.
- Scaly Breasted Wren
- Black-Crested Coquettes
- Thicket Antpitta
- Ornate Hawk Eagle
- Ocellated Antbird
- Three Wattled Bellbird
- Fasciated Tiger Heron
- Keel-Billed Motmot
- White Fronted Nunbird
- Brown-Capped Taynuilt
- Black-Headed Nightingale Thrush
DAILY ITINERARY BY DESTINATION
Day 1. Arenal. Upon arrival we are going to explore the hotel grounds, for a good number of honeycreepers, tanagers, oropendolas, some hummingbirds and many other forest birds such as trogons, pygmy tyrants on the hotel private preserve. The remaining part of the afternoon we will take a drive to the Arenal Lake area in hopes to find guans, parrots, motmots, toucans, etc.
Day 2. Arenal. Birding all day at the hotel grounds. Exploring its private 600 hectares of primary, secondary forests with unlimited possibilities and good chance for Bare necked Umbrellabird. The hotel is placed in front of the most active volcano in Central America; its views are majestic and unrivaled.
Day 3. Arenal. Early birding to the forest nearby the Arenal lake which is mostly secondary forest where a good combination of microhabitats increase the birding possibilities such as Long tailed Tyrant, Broad billed Motmot, Crested Guan, Keel billed Toucan, White Hawk, Thicket Antpitta, and maybe Ornate Hawk Eagle.
All 3 Birding Days Journeys you need to consider the following
- If you are base in San Jose area please let us know your hotel
- We most departure no later than 5:30 am (this is in order to avoid heavy concentrations of traffic breakfast is not included therefore try to arrange with your hotel/lodge prior departure
- We will be above 550 meters, would be warm and humid, light clothing need it and rain jacket
- Return time to your hotel would be after lunch this is in order to prevent getting stocked in traffic for hours
- All meals included
- Lunch included on the departure day